Adult Education (For more information, click here)
For more information on Adult Education, visit this website or call (256) 306-2830.
- General Educational Development (GED) Preparation—This program identifies areas of instruction that an individual would need in order to be successful on the GED test. Adults study individually and/or in small groups under the guidance of qualified instructors. Each student progresses at his/her own pace.
- Literacy Assessments & Remediation—The Adult Education Department offers a Basic Skills Assessment and Basic Skills Refresher classes. This program of study is tailored to the individual’s assessed level of proficiency and will help improve specific academic skills in basic mathematics, reading, and English.
- Gear Up!—This program is designed for those individuals seeking to improve job search and employability skills. Gear Up! includes career exploration, career planning, college enrollment and financial aid, barriers to employment, application and employment forms, resumes, cover letters, elevator speeches, job fairs, body language and interviewing skills. The Gear Up! Program explores the world of work; students create a professional work portfolio, develop a personal career plan that meets academic and employment goals and develop skills to successfully procure and maintain an appropriate position in the workforce.
- GED Testing—The test covers five areas: Language Arts; Writing; Social Studies; Science; Language Arts, Reading; and Mathematics.
- English as a Second Language (ESL)—These classes provide instruction for adults whose native language is not English. Beginning, intermediate, and advanced classes are offered.