Service Learning Program
Welcome to the Calhoun Service Learning Program! The Service Learning Program adds practical hands-on experience to the student learning process. Service learning provides faculty members with an optional teaching tool to encourage critical thinking skills in their students. Service learning benefits our college by increasing community awareness. It facilitates a mutually beneficial relationship between our college and the community. Ultimately, the Service Learning Program benefits our community service agencies and gives them a chance to participate in the educational process. Calhoun's Service Learning Program is designed to offer students the opportunity to improve academic learning and develop personal skills through participation in structured service projects that meet community needs. Thank you for your willingness to participate in this program.
If you are interested in participating:
- See how easy it is in this instructional video.
- Offer the option of a service learning track in your course syllabus (10% or 20% of student's grade, for example)
- Select one or more agencies of your choice from the list of currently participating agencies and provide contact information to your students. If you know of an agency that is not listed, but would like to use them, have them complete an online Service Learning Agency Application
- Require that students register with the Service Learning Office by completing the online Student Volunteer Application
- Inform students that it is their responsibility to contact the agency to set up an interview time and work schedule
- Require a minimum number of hours of community service per semester (i.e. 10/20 hours)
- You may want your students to complete an initial short essay on their expectation of the service learning opportunity at the beginning of the course, and/or a detailed exit paper or journal on their reflection of the actual learning experience at the end of the course (this is not required but based on your personal preferences)
As part of the process, the Service Learning Office will require students to complete a timesheet documenting their hours; which will be reported to you in time to give them their appropriate credit.