Get the skills you need
for the job
Great qualified instructors
Local biotech internships
Hands-on laboratory work
Small class sizes
Job placement assistance
Scholarships available to students who have declared Biotechnology as their major!
Biotechnology is one of the fastest growing industries in the nation, with a high demand for entry-level workers and two-year and four-year college graduates. In the last 25 years, the US biotechnology industry has created more than 198,000 high-quality jobs, at over 1,400 pharmaceutical, agricultural, industrial, and instrumentation biotechnology companies, plus more at academic and government agencies!
Biotechnology sectors include:
- Health Care: drug discovery, vaccines, devices and diagnostics
- Ag Biotech: genetically modified organisms, food safety
- Industrial and Environmental Applications: biofuels, biomaterials
- Biodefense: vaccines, biosensors
- Research Tools: DNA fingerprinting, bioinformatics, microarray technology, nanotechnology
Local companies will provide internships for students who have completed the first year of biotech classes at Calhoun and will work with students and instructors to ensure our graduates are trained to enter the local workforce.
Reasons for Biotechnology in Community, Technical, and Career Colleges