The Cosmetology program at Calhoun provides a curriculum which includes theory, skills, and salon ethics required to become a licensed cosmetologist. Students practice techniques in a supervised salon setting including hairstyling, nail care, chemical services, and skin care (See price list
). Computer instructional materials also are utilized for tutorial and testing reviews. Certification typically requires five semesters of full-time attendance. The Cosmetology Program has three certificate options:
The Cosmetology Certificate
gives the student the knowledge and basic skills required to become a licensed cosmetologist. (See program card
The Cosmetology/Instructor Option
is a teacher training program which prepares the student for the State instructor exam. (See program card
The Cosmetology/Nail Technology
certificate option is geared for those students desiring a career in nail technology. (See program card
There are 3 different schedules for students to choose from:
- Full-time Day -- M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Part-time Day -- M-F, 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Evening -- MTW, 4:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Career Opportunities in the Field
Over 50,000 positions went unfilled last year! Cosmetology is a growing and challenging field in which professionals may choose one of several careers, including any of the following:
- Licensed Cosmetologist - trained in the science of hair, skin, and nails and has passed the State Board of Examination and demonstrated an ability to perform basic cosmetology procedures and services
- Nail Technician - trained in providing nail care and artificial nail application and has passed the State Board of Examination and demonstrated an ability to perform basic nail services
- Instructor - licensed cosmetologist with related work and teaching experience who instructs students in cosmetology
- Salon Manager/Owner - licensed cosmetologist with overall operation or ownership of a salon
- Platform Artist - licensed cosmetologist who demonstrates the latest fashion techniques to salons and operators
- Manufacturer's Representative - licensed cosmetologist employed by product manufacturer to educate cosmetologists in proper application of new products
- State Board Examiner - tests students taking licensing examinations and inspects schools and salons
Cosmetologists and barbers hold about 750,000 jobs. Part-time jobs attract many people who want to combine a job with family, school or other responsibilities.
The Cosmetology program is located in Building 4 on the Decatur Campus (see campus map
). The facility provides students with state-of-the art equipment and classroom facilities. Clients will enjoy the lighting and aethestically pleasing environment.
For more information contact:
Sandra McCully or Cheryl Brown
1-800-626-3628 (ext. 2658) -- toll free in Alabama only
or for the Evening Program, contact:
Front Desk Guest Services
1-800-626-3628 (ext. 2659) -- toll free in Alabama only