Ready to Work
Alabama’s Ready-to-Work program provides a means for adults to find success in life by providing pathways into prospective careers and by encouraging adults to continue their education. The equation for positive outcomes in life is Preparation + Opportunity = Success!
The Ready-to-Work program prepares trainees by providing them with the entry-level job skills required for employment in most Alabama companies. The course focuses on employment skills, understanding business and personal finances, workplace safety concepts, manufacturing concepts, and communication skills that are necessary for success in today’s workplace. The Ready-to-Work Program is a FREE, open-enrollment program that takes approximately 6 to 8 weeks to complete. It is designed to help seasoned professionals as well as persons transitioning into new careers, high school and college graduates, GED completers, dually enrolled students, and active participants of the HSO program, with appropriate recommendation.
Successful completers of the Ready to Work Program earn the following certifications and credit hours:
- Alabama Certified Worker (ACW) Certificate
- ACT Work Keys – National Career Readiness Credential (CRC)
- FDIC – Financial Literacy Money Smart – 11 Certifications
- The potential of earning a total of 13 certifications
- 3 Credit hours to be applied to course of your choice at Calhoun
Easy as 1, 2, 3,!
- We accept seasoned professionals as well as persons transitioning into new careers, high school and college graduates, GED completers, dually enrolled students, and active participants of the HSO program, with appropriate recommendation.
- You must have a Pre-TABE test that is less than 60 days old. The Pre-TABE test is administered at 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM at the Huntsville Campus. Sign in at the front desk of the Adult Education Department. Bring your Photo ID, Driver’s License and Social Security card. The placement test is 3 ½ hours. The Pre-TABE test will determine if you need additional tutorial resources while in the Ready to Work program. If you need to take the Pre-TABE at Decatur, please email the Ready to Work Instructor at the Decatur Career Center to set up the time and date.
- If you need to take a Pre-TABE it is given on every MONDAY, with the exception of holidays.
- After you have taken the Pre-TABE test you will be contacted by phone or email. The Ready to Work Instructor will schedule a face-to-face appointment with you to complete the proper paper work for entry along with assisting you with your schedule for classes.
The Ready to Work program is FREE and lasts approximately 6 to 8 weeks. This is an open enrollment program. You can always begin a class at any time.
Essential Requirements for Successful Completion Include:
- A 95% attendance and punctuality rate.
- Satisfactory achievement of work ethic, organizational skills, attitude and motivation.
- Satisfactory achievement of problem solving skills, workplace behaviors, financial education, customer service, computer skills, job acquisition skills and operation skills.
- WorkKeys Assessments: Applied Mathematics, Reading for Information, and Locating Information.
- Alabama Certified Worker Examination.
Introduction to RTW consists of:
- Workplace Violence; What is Harassment; Safety Orientation; Diversity in the Workplace
- Safe Lifting & Fire Extinguisher
- Team Building
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Problem Solving
- Problem Solving Tools
- Decision Analysis
- Time Management
- Conflict Resolution
- Bank On It
- Borrowing Basics
- Check It Out
- Money Matters
- Pay Yourself First
- Keep It Safe
- To Your Credit
- Charge It Right
- Loan To Own
- Your Own Home
- Financial Recovery
- Job Acquisition
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Application Forms
- Workplace Safety
- Precision Measurement
- Lean/Just-In-Time Operation
- Introduction to Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Principles of Quality Operations*
- Workplace Behavior
- Diversity - Drop by Drop DVD
- Harassment Is DVD
- Workplace Violence - The Calm Before the Storm DVD
- Safety Orientation - It Takes a Winning Attitude DVD
- Workplace Ethics (No DVD required)
- Team Member Training (No DVD required)*
- Computer Skills
- Windows 7, XP and Mac Operating Systems
- Introduction to Computers
- Technology to Communicate
The Ready-to-Work program is operated by the Alabama Community College System and AIDT.
For more information, please contact:
The Ready to Work Program currently serves Madison, Morgan and Limestone Counties; Huntsville, Decatur and Athens, AL
The Department of Corrections – Serving Pre-Release incarcerated population
Ms. Brenda Ligon
Pre-Release Social Services/RTW Program Manager
Limestone Correctional Facility – Serving incarcerated population
Mr. Dan Burleson, Ready to Work Instructor
Decatur Career Center
1819 Bassett Ave, SE
Decatur, AL 35601