Adult Ed Bridge Program
The Bridge Program was designed with the needs of Calhoun students in mind. Bridge classes prepare students to move from high school - to college level skills in Math and Language.
The Bridge Program at a Glance
- Bridge Math and Language classes are FREE, ACCELERATED, NONCREDIT (not drop-in tutoring) classes that save students time and money. Successful completion of a Bridge course helps students qualify for college level classes.
- Teaches concepts at an accelerated pace.
- Requires consistent attendance
- Instruction is student-centered and unconventional.
- Bridge classes are small and interactive. Students are encouraged to learn according to their preferred learning styles, which might include talking about math, moving about the room, and chewing gum!
- Bridge classes are intensive, too. Math Bridge classes meet for 4+ hours a week.
- Class registration is on Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. in Room 318 (Huntsville campus) and Mondays at 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (Testing and Adult Education Building, #9 on the Decatur Campus map)
- Registration takes 2.5 hours to complete. Math Bridge and Language Bridge enrollment requires standardized pre/post testing.
- Bring to Registration: Valid government-issued photo ID, ACT, Accuplacer, and/or Compass placement scores, Calhoun "C" number.
- For students testing into Math 090 or Math 098 who have not mastered basic math skills.
- Consists of one 5-6 week class (Huntsville campus). Consists of current semester related mini-mester or self- paced (Decatur Campus).
- Teaches mental math skills for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Teaches fractions, decimals, and percent calculations.
- Teaches Math Anxiety and Test Anxiety coping skills.
- For students testing into Math 098 or higher.
- Consists of three 5-6 week classes, or Phases (Huntsville campus). Consists of current semester related mini-mester or self- paced (Decatur Campus).
- Classes are held Tuesday and Thursday mornings, 8:30—11:00 or afternoons, 3:30—6:00 on the Huntsville Campus and Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, 10:00-12:30 p.m., Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday 1:00-4:00 p.m. or Tuesday/Thursday 4:00-8:00 p.m. on the Decatur Campus.
- Regular attendance and homework is REQUIRED for success.
- Extra help is available by appointment or designated tutoring times.
- Students demonstrate concept mastery at the end of each class via Final Exam scores.
- Students who regularly attend classes and complete assignments are eligible to repeat the class should the need arise.
- For students testing into ENR 094.
- Consists of two, 8-week class.
- Teaches reading comprehension, essay writing, and grammar.
- Class meets Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 -3:00 pm on the Huntsville Campus and Monday/Wednesday 8:00-10:00 a.m. & Tuesday/Thursday 8:00-10:00 a.m. on the Decatur Campus.
- Students retake the placement test at course conclusion.