Welcome, Want to Meet With Us?
Am I required to meet with an advisor?
All first time students and returning students are required to meet with an advisor. It is recommended that students meet with an advisor at least 2 weeks before registration begins to ensure they are in the correct program of study and are making the correct course selections for their programs.
Academic Advisors can meet with you on a variety of topics: degree planning, transfer, careers and majors, etc. Making an appointment ensures that we are able to address all your questions completely and thoroughly. Plan to commit a minimum of 30 minutes to your session.
Students are welcome to come by to meet with an advisor anytime during business hours on a first-come, first-served basis. At peak registration times, lines can be very long. Advising sessions during this time will be limited to 10-15 minutes.
Advisors answer questions via email and on Facebook
. Email to advisors are professional communications, so please include: first name, last name, and student ID. Please allow at least 24 hours for a response and 48 hours during peak-times. Students who reside out of state, or more than 2 hours from campus, can request an on-line advising session: firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Expect from Us:
Your advisor will:
- Understand and communicate curriculum, requirements, policies, and procedures
- Listen to your concerns and respect your individual values and choices
- Support you in defining your academic, career, and personal goals
- Assist you in creating an educational plan that is consistent with those goals
- Refer you to campus resources
- Clarify questions about registering via myCalhoun, not register students
What We Expect from You:
We expect you to:
- Learn campus policies, procedures, and resources
- Complete COMPASS placement testing, if applicable
- Actively participate in advising by asking questions and sharing your goals
- Research your degree requirements, pre and co-requisites, and transfer information
- Follow through with your advisor's recommendations in a timely way
- Create a class schedule and register via myCalhoun
What to Bring to Your First Session:
- any ACT scores you may have from the past three years
- any COMPASS scores you may have had within the past three years from another institution
- official or unofficial college transcripts from institutions you have attended
- any questions you may have about the college process