About Calhoun

Our History at a Glance

1942

Calhoun's first president, Dr. Carlton Kelley, serves as head of the Decatur Trade school.

1946

The institution moved to its present location near Pryor Field and served as a war surplus project for training WWII vets.

1947

The College was created as the result of the consolidation of the Tennessee Valley State Technical School and John C. Calhoun State Junior College.

1965

The school became a comprehensive institution and was renamed John C. Calhoun State Technical Junior College and Technical School.

1973

The College's present designation as a community college was formalized by a resolution from the Alabama State Board of Education.

1974

Construction on the Student Center (Decatur campus) was completed; the building would later be named the Chasteen Student Center in honor of the College's second president, Dr. James Chasteen.

1976

After serving the institution for 34 years as its first president, Dr. Carlton Kelley retires. Student enrollment at the time of Dr. Kelley's retirement was 5,500. (The College's gymnasium was named in honor of Dr. Kelley.)

1977

Dr. James Chasteen becomes the College's second president, serving the institution for 14 years. The Fine Arts Building opens.

1989

Calhoun student Todd Fentress is named the first American Association of Community and Junior College/Phi Theta Kappa National Student Scholar. (At the time of Fentress' honor, only one student in the entire nation was recognized. Since 1989, six other Calhoun students have been honored among the country's top two-year college students, giving Calhoun the distinction of having the first and most students to receive this prestigious honor.)

1992

Dr. Richard Carpenter is named Calhoun's third president, serving for close to 10 years.

1996

The Huntsville/Cummings Research Park campus officially opens. Calhoun's first website goes "live".

1997

The College begins offering courses on-line via the Internet.

1998

Calhoun moves from the quarter to the semester system.

2000

The Aerospace Training Center officially opens. Calhoun's ACT Center opens, making it the first center of its kind in the Southeast and the fifth in the nation.

2001

The College's television station, 4CTV, goes live.

2003

Dr. Marilyn C. Beck becomes the College's fourth president and makes history as the institution's first woman president. Calhoun student enrollment tops 9,000.

2004

The College holds groundbreaking for the new Health Sciences Center.

2005

One-stop Center for admissions, registration, financial aid services and student activities completed in Chasteen Student Center.

2006

First classes held in the new Health Sciences Center.

2007

Math/Science/Administration Building opens.

2007

Calhoun begins the first associate degree program in Biotechnology in the state of Alabama.

2007

Calhoun Foundation announces largest monetary gift ($1.8 million) in college's history

2008

Calhoun Chosen for State Robotics Center